What it is/does


Office of the Public Guardian (OPG)

The Office of the Public Guardian supports and promotes decision-making for those who lack capacity or would like to plan for their future, within the framework of the Mental Capacity Act 2005

Department of Health (DH)

Responsibilities include setting health and social care policy in England. The Department’s work sets standards and  drives modernisation across all areas of the NHS, social care and public health

Booklets and up-to-date information available

020 7210 4850

Wellington House, 133-155 Waterloo Road, London, SE1 3UG

Welsh Assembly Government

Develops policy and approves legislation that reflects the needs of the people of Wales

029 2082 5111

Cathays Park, Cardiff, CF10 3NQ

Action for Advocacy

A resource and support agency for the advocacy sector, information, training and advice

PO Box 31856, Lorrimore Square, London, SE17 3XR

Age Concern England

The UK’s largest organisation working to promote wellbeing of all older people. It provides vital  services,  information and support to thousands of older people – of all ages and backgrounds |

0800 00 99 66

Astral House, 1268 London Road, London, SW16 4ER

Alzheimer’s Society

The UK’s leading care and research charity for people with dementia, their families and carers

0845 300 0336

Gordon House, 10 Greencoat Place, London, SW1P 1PH


A website providing independent  information about a wide range of alternative dispute resolutions options, so that advisers and the general public can make an informed decision about how best to resolve a dispute

ASA Advicenow

An independent, not-for-profit website providing accurate, up-to-date information on rights and legal issues

British Medical Association (BMA)

BMA represents doctors from all branches of medicine all over the UK

T  020 7387 4499 | F  020 7383 6400

BMA House, Tavistock Square, London, WC1H 9JP

Carers UK

Looks after family, partners or friends in need of help because they are ill, frail or have a disability

T  020 7566 7637 | F  020 7490 8824

20/25 Glasshouse Yard, London, EC1A 4JT

Citizens Advice Bureaux (CABx)

Help people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free information and advice

T  020 7833 2181

Myddelton House, 115-123 Pentonville Road, London, N1 9LZ20/25 Glasshouse Yard, London, EC1A 4JT

You can find your local CAB by visiting their website or looking under ‘Citizens Advice Bureaux’ in The Phone Book.

Community Legal Service Direct

CLS Direct is a free, confidential service to help people deal with their legal problems. Their website has a database of lawyers and a range of legal information leaflets

0845 345 4 345

Down’s Syndrome Association

Provides information and support for people with  Down’s Syndrome, their families and carers, as well as being a resource for interested professionals

T  0845 230 0372 | F  0845 230 0373

Langdon Down Centre, 2a Langdon Park, Teddington, Middlesex, TW11 9PS

Foundation for People with Learning Disabilities

Works with people with learning disabilities, their families and those who support them to improve the quality of their lives and promotes the rights, quality of life and opportunities of people with learning disabilities and their families

020 7803 1100

Sea Containers House, 20 Upper Ground, London, SE1 9QB

Headway – the brain injury association

Promotes  understanding  of all aspects of brain injury; and provides information, support and services to people with a brain injury, their family and carers

0808 800 2244

4 King Edward Court Service, King Edward Street, Nottingham, NG1 1EW

Law Centres Federation

The national body for a network of community based Law Centres. Law Centres provide help in solving everyday problems, such as getting decent housing, dealing with discrimination, or obtaining the correct benefits

020 7387 8570

Duchess House, 18–19 Warren Street, London W1T 5LR.

Law Society

The regulatory and representative body for 116,000 solicitors in England and Wales

0870 606 6575


Charity working with people with learning disabilities, their families and carers

T  e8b1′ font=’entypo-fontello’ style=” caption=” link=” linktarget=” size=’20px’ position=’left’ color=”][/av_font_icon]

020 7454 0454

123 Golden Lane, London, EC1Y ORT

Mental Health Foundation

A leading UK charity that provides information, carries out research, campaigns and works to improve services for anyone affected by mental health problems, whatever their age and wherever they live

020 7803 1100

Sea Containers House, 20 Upper Ground, London, SE1 9QB

Mental Health Lawyers Association

A professional association  of mental health lawyers in England and Wales. Their website includes a database of lawyers

[email protected]


Leading mental health charity, working to create a better life for everyone with experience of mental distress. Provides information and support

0845 766 0163

15-19 Broadway, Stratford, London, E15 4BQ

National Autistic Society (NAS)

Champions the rights and interests of all people with autism and to ensure that  they and their families receive quality services appropriate to their needs

0845 070 4004

393 City Road, London, EC1V 1NG

National Care Association (NCA)

Represents the interests and provides services to support small and medium sized providers of social care in England and Wales

020 7831 7090

45-49 Leather Lane, London, EC1N 7JT

NICE transition guidelines

This guideline covers the period before, during and after a young person moves from children’s to adults’ services. It aims to help young people and their carers have a better experience of transition by improving the way it’s planned and carried out. It covers both health and social care.

The Care Quality Commission uses NICE guidelines as evidence to inform the inspection process.


The National Family Carer Network

A network that provides a focal point for issues affecting families that include an adult with a learning disability

0117 930 2600

Merchants House, Wapping Road, Bristol, BS1 4RW

The National Family Carer Support Service

A network that provides support and information for family carers

0117 930 2608

Merchants House, Wapping Road, Bristol, BS1 4RW

Patient Concern

An organisation committed to promoting choice and empowerment for all health service users. Provides information to service users

PO Box 23732, London, SW5 9FY

patientconcer[email protected]

The Relatives and Residents Association

An organisation for older people needing, or living in, residential care and the families and friends left behind. Offers support and information via a helpline

020 7359 8136

24 The Ivories, 6-18 Northampton Street, London, N1 2HY


The national society for children and adults with learning disabilities and their families

0161 474 7323

Steven Jackson House, 31 Buxton Road, Heaviley, Stockport, SK2 6LS


Provides a range of services for both victims and perpetrators of sexual abuse who have learning disabilities and those who have been affected by other trauma. Their services extend to support and training for families, carers and professionals

020 7383 0700 | Fax 020 7387 1222

3rd Floor, 24-32 Stephenson Way, London, NW1 2HD


Disability organisation in England and Wales, whose focus is people with cerebral palsy

020 7619 7100

6 Market Road, London, N7 9PW


Charity providing specialist information, advice and services to deaf blind people, their families, carers and the professionals who work with them. Funded to develop training materials which address the advocacy issues for deaf blind people

0845 127 0060 | Fax  0845 127 0061 | Text  0845 127 0062

11-13 Clifton Terrace, Finsbury Park, London, N4 3SR

Sexuality Guidance and Standards

This well-illustrated guide, which is underpinned by standards has a number of short, useful sections with quotes from people with life-limiting conditions who contributed hugely to its development. It also includes case histories with discussion points, information about the law, lists of useful resources and guidance.

Solicitors for the Elderly

A national organisation of lawyers who are committed to providing independent legal advice for older people, their family and carers

Room 17, Conbar House, Mead Lane, Hertford, SG13 7AP

Together for Short lives

Offers a website with many options…

It offers an advocacy service which you will find under families helpline.

Under resources you will find guides and research to help you through transition informing you what you should expect from services around you – ‘Stepping Up’.

You may also wish to receive their family newsletter which offers advice and support. They have some interesting short films showing how families have received their support.

They have a section on transition where you will find regular transition times newsletters

They also have a range of information sheets e.g. The Mental Capacity Act

Turning Point

The UK’s leading social care organisation, providing services for people with complex needs, including those affected by drug and alcohol misuse, mental health problems and those with a learning disability

0207 481 7600

Standon House, 21 Mansell Street, London, E1 8AA

United Response

A national organisation creating opportunities and services with people with learning difficulties and people with mental health problems

020 8246 5200 | Fax  020 8780 9538 | Minicom  020 8785 1706

113-123 Upper Richmond Road, Putney, London, SW15 2TL



You’ll find answers to the questions we get asked the most about making decisions.

Read more